Plumbing Permits

Applications for plumbing permits can be submitted to The Community Development Department, located on the 4th floor of City Hall . The hours of operation are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. The office is closed on all City holidays. Download a Plumbing Permit Application

*Please be aware that applications for commercial buildings must be accompanied by 2 sets of plumbing plans that have been sealed, signed and dated by a Missouri registered design professional.

Plumbing permits are issued to Master Plumbers or Drainlayers who are licensed by St. Louis County. Plumbers licensed by St. Louis County also receive a license from University City. One may verify that a contractor is licensed by calling the Community Development Department or visiting the following website. Plumbers must show proof of license from St. Louis County as well as a second form of identification (such as a driver's license) when applying for a permit with University City.

An owner can receive a plumbing permit if the following conditions are met:

  1. The owner occupies the home.
  2. The owner personally performs all the work.
  3. The owner obtains a plumbing permit to perform work that meets the standards of University City's adopted ordinances and codes.
  4. The owner passes an open book exam. The exam is based on the currently adopted edition of the International Residential Code (Chapters 33-40). A current edition of the code book is available for use at the Community Development Department.
The owner's permit is applicable only to single-family, owner occupied units.

The following list is an example of plumbing work requiring permits and inspections:

  1. Soil pipe connections
  2. Replacements of sewer laterals
  3. Vent pipe installation
  4. Installation of water supply lines
  5. Replacement of plumbing fixtures